Header

Image Map

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Strolling of the Heifers

Brattleboro boasts an annual festival inspired by the Running of the Bulls, meant to slow down the decline of New England farming and spread the word on the need for local and sustainable food. Many family farms show up with their best stock to parade around. We saw cows, horses, pigs, and donkeys bedecked with flowers, hats, and crowns. People cheer, people dance, and people eat lots of cheese from Vermont.

I thought it would be fun to see a few baby cows led down the street and be on our way, but this is a serious festival! John and I had the best time. The Brattleboro Retreat grounds are converted into a Dairy Celebration with local artisans, local food, local Circus Arts, and most importantly, Maple Cotton Candy. This delectable spin on the familiar treat was nothing short of life-changing - and entirely worth the serious 2 p.m. sugar crash.

I laughed at a Miniature Donkey with serious mope.


I stared at homemade Whoopie Pies.


I saw a cheeky New England Longear Rescue Booth. "Save your ass."


I got up close and personal with cows.


I watched cows prance.


And I spent a day with my fiance, welcomed before the onset of summer festival life.


I hope your Saturdays were lovely, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover